SMIL Men's Senior 60+ Doubles League
In California's San Francisco "East Bay", there is a seven-team Senior Men's Interclub League (SMIL).
The eight member teams are:
- Rossmoor Tennis Club
- Walnut Creek I
- Crow Canyon Country Club
- Round Hill C.C.
- Walnut Creek II
- Blackhawk C.C.
- Oakland Hills
- Moraga Country Club
There are eight teams in the league, including Rossmoor. There is a single league coordinator who makes schedules for all of the teams. The idea of this league is for everyone to get a chance to play against other clubs and to socialize afterward. This league was formed to make tennis an enjoyable game for all. For additional information, especially if you would like to be on the team, contact Dave Kern, the Rossmoor team captain. Here's how it works:
- Age --- Players must be at least 60 years old by December 31st of the current year, a member of the RTC, and pay an annual fee for food and beverage when hosting.
- Rating --- This league is not affiliated with USTA and a USTA rating is not required. Players are generally 3.0+ equivalent and the team reserves the right to limit players to those at an appropriate standard.
- Matches --- are on Wednesdays and will not start earlier than 10:00 a.m. or later than 1:00 p.m*. Both captains must agree on the start time. Captains may make schedule adjustments, if needed. Rossmoor home matches are played at 11:00 a.m or 12:00 noon. Wins and losses are not centrally recorded.
- Scheduling --- The season runs from mid September to early July. Matches will be on alternate Wednesdays with beginning times no earlier than 10:00 and no later than 1:00*. Both captains must agree on the start time. Home Captain must contact the Visiting Captain one week prior to the match to set an agreed start time.
- Practices --- Practices are on Mondays and Fridays, with matches and practices on alternate Wednesdays.*
- Court Reservations --- When playing at Rossmoor, other Rossmoor players should be advised that courts 2 through 8 may be reserved by this match play. The team will limit play to four courts if other courts are being fully utilized but this is rarely needed. Often notices close to the play dates will be posted in the kiosk or on court gates with specifics.
- Matches at Each Meeting --- There will be a minimum of 3 doubles matches, all to be played at the same time. Each match is best two out of three sets, regular scoring. If the teams split sets, they will play a super tie-breaker. Teams are played in order of their strength so it's fun for everyone.
- Rain makeups --- are encouraged to be played on open Wednesdays following the rain out. However, if both captains agree to a different day and time for the makeup match, (or for any other scheduled match), this will be acceptable.
- Home team --- provides new balls, food, and beverage. It is suggested that players also bring their own water / sports drinks.
- Rossmoor Team --- has a team captain who is the liaison with the league. At his discretion, he may recruit volunteers to act as captain for individual matches, and to coordinate practices.