RTC Board Members Duties
Volunteers with administrative and information technology skills are needed
RTC board members and RTC volunteers perform a number of functions to help the club function smoothly. Every year (or every few years) responsibility for these functions will necessarily change. This year the responsibility for several of these functions will be changing hands. Several of these functions require administrative, financial, and information technology skills.
For the past several months the board has been looking for board members and / or volunteers to assume the responsibility for these functions. The outline below is designed to outline some of the skills needed by individuals being recruited for various board and volunteer positions. It is initially focused largely on administrative and information technology skills, but may be enhanced over time to include a full description of what is expected or assumed that each position should be willing to and able to perform.
President and Vice President (board positions)
- Monthly meeting agenda --- entered directly into the website and printed just prior to the meeting. Conduct monthly meetings.
- Gmail blasts to members with links to the website entries at least once a month, with updates on tournaments, parties, etc.
- Assist board members and social/tennis volunteers with website entries, etc.
- Assume RTC President's duties in case of his/her absence
Secretary (board position)
- Board meeting agenda prepared ahead of meetings in coordination with President / Vice President.
- Board meeting minutes recorded during meeting and later entered on the RTC website.
- Assist event organizers in keeping RTC Calendar pages of the RTC website kept current.
- Governing documents --- the club maintains a number of documents (Golden Rain charter, photographs, by-laws, forms, applications, etc.) These documents are stored and available on the website.
Treasurer (board position)
- Preparation of Financial Statements --- Use club software to create financial information to be presented at general membership meetings.
- Deposit membership and ball machine checks into club bank account.
- Reimbursements for RTC activities --- RTC reimbursement sheet with receipts will be given to board member so that checks can be sent to club volunteers for remuneration.
Tournaments Chairperson (board position)
- Tournament organization --- the director’s main duty is to help organize and run tennis tournaments played by the tennis club members. By being directly involved the director can help everyone run tournaments efficiently and with confidence.
- Tournament officiating --- when someone new is involved, help him/her to organize and run the tournament. Explain the different formats for the various tournaments (these can be e-mailed,) give them a worksheet (separate document,) and just be there for questions, etc. Veteran tournament people will be able to tell you what they want/need.
- Assist captains and coordinators of the women's leagues and the men's leagues when they are hosting opposing clubs here at Rossmoor.
- Make sure that all tournaments are posted to RTC Calendar on website as early in the year as possible.
Use the following timeline for your responsibilities:
- One month before the tournament is to take place be sure that the information for it is posted on the website. If you are not doing the posting, contact whoever is designated (webmaster, etc.)
- Three weeks before contact the publicity board member to put a blurb in the Rossmoor News that the tournament is approaching. Give details such as date, time, when the sign-up sheets will be posted, etc.
- One week before the tournament put up a flyer at the kiosk that explains which courts are reserved and the times.
- At this time help the captain contact all the players to confirm their participation (email is okay.)
- On the day of the tournament help the captain keep things running smoothly.
- Make sure that a group photo is taken before playing starts.
- After the tournament send the publicity director the results, photos and any interesting stories so that the information can go into the Rossmoor News.
- If you are posting to the website, write a brief article (with Who, What, When Where, Why and How information) and post it. If you are not posting, send the information and photos to the board member in charge of publicity, president's e-mail, and President at RTC. Make the story interesting!!!
- All photos that are emailed should be sent as attachments only.
Social Chairperson (board position)
- Event scheduling --- in October / November prepare a schedule of at least nine social events to be held the following calendar year. Secure volunteer hosting participation for these events. Work with the RTC Secretary to assure that this schedule information is on the club's website and in the annual membership directory. Provide the schedule to the board at December's board meeting.
- Event planning --- well in advance of each event, work with each host to determine venue availability, volunteer services, party format, entertainment, food, beverage, and
- Event registration --- collect reservation information and money for social events
- Event publicity --- make sure all events are posted on RTC Calendar on the website. A flyer that can be posted at the Buckeye Kiosk or on the website can be be prepared. Tech Committee chairman will assist you. Notify publicity board member a sufficient time in advance so that articles can be prepared for the Rossmoor News.
- Event recording --- prepare an event summary and e-mail it with any photos (as attachments) to the publicity board member, president's e-mail and President at RTC.
Membership Chairperson (board position)
- Membership Outreach --- during the year, ensure that prospective members have one or more personable individuals to call for information about the club.
- Membership forms --- during the year, prepare and mail (or email) the information necessary to allow prospective members to join or re-join the RTC. Keep blank copies of the application at kiosk and elsewhere. By Mid-October send out renewal applications to all current members via email. Use US Mail for those members without computers. Repeat this procedure as necessary toward end of the year.
- Membership information --- use Google Contacts to record contact, dues, and other information about the membership. Keep track of members and place names in the appropriate groups, i.e., New Members, Non-Residents, etc. Keep and file all returned applications for future reference. Document the information from submitted applications into the club's Google Contacts.
- Membership dues --- prepare a Google Sheets spreadsheet (on the club's Google account) to document moneys received. Prepare bank deposits for RTC Treasurer listing name, date, check number, and amount of check. Using this information coordinate with the RTC Treasurer the amounts of received.
- Ball Machine accounting --- maintain in Google Contacts a list showing those who have paid for use of the ball machine and keep that list accurate during the year.
- RTC Annual Directory input --- work with the person responsible for preparing and printing the RTC Directory to make sure all names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses are accurate before publication.
- RTC Annual Directory mailing --- by late January, conduct a "Directory Mailing Party" where printed directories receive postage, receive mailing labels, are folded and sealed for mailing, and dropped off to the US Postal Service.
- RTC Directory Updates --- during the year, as new members join, send an email and make a phone call welcoming new member and deliver directory to them. Update directory information mid-year and email to all members. Use US Postal Service for those without email.
Court Engineer (board position)
- Replace batteries in clocks at tennis courts.
- Periodically remove and replace old tennis balls in ball machine.
- See if nets and screens need repair/replacement (inform Club President to inform MOD.)
- Make sure there are sign up sheets in container at kiosk.
- Respond to any other member input on facilities related issues
RTC Publicity (board position)
- Rossmoor News --- provide a weekly article outlining the club's activities during the previous week
- RTC website --- enter information from the above submission into the appropriate portions of the website
- Rossmoor Recreation Department --- maintain a relationship with the director in order to get the club's input into planned activities
RTC Technology Administrator (volunteer position)
- RTC Website development --- (performed as a one-time donation by Les Hoskyns) --- non recurring
- RTC Website enhancement --- (a major revision was performed in October / November 2015)
- RTC Website enhancements --- (a major revision was performed in May / June 2017)
- RTC website maintenance --- website administrator (webmaster) functions --- (will be transferred to Chris Slee over a period of months, category by category beginning in July 2017.)
- RTC Annual Directory input --- work with RTC Membership Chairperson to assure the proper organization of member information exists in RTC's Google Contacts.
- RTC Annual Directory preparation --- using input received from RTC Membership and appropriate software, prepare a file that can be used by a local printer to produce booklets ready for mailing. Detailed instructions are found on a separate page of the website.